Thursday, August 8, 2013

The Definition of Sewing Insanity

Why would anyone make a man's tailored dress shirt from cotton gauze? Well, I made that happen and learned about sewing insanity. I wanted to make Silhouette 6012, George's shirt. DH was delighted and liked the pattern. So, I had a good quality cotton sitting on my sewing table. While I was excited about the challenge, I started questioning my ability to actually make this shirt. My mistake #1 was saying my concern out loud. I told my sweetie that if the shirt didn't turn out, he could wear it to work in the garden. His response was he would love a shirt to wear working in the yard. He decided he wanted his shirt in a that light weight crinkly fabric so that it would be cool. My mistake #2 was going to the Mood website and ordering this nice, cool cotton gauze. When it arrived, I loved the soft gauze and thought that it would make a wonderful summer sweater set. DH loved the fabric also and thought that it would be perfect for a summer garden shirt. Mistake #3 was not hearing the words "garden shirt" and continued with my plans for a tailored shirt. The fun began on the cutting table. Cutting little pieces from those lumps in the fabric was just plain crazy to do. Mistake #4 was my own stubborn attitude. I cut and sewed the entire shirt. At the point of the collar, I fully realized my insanity. If anyone can get a nice point on a collar from cotton gauze, I'm opened to suggestions. I doubt that I'll ever try it again!! Anyhow, here's the shirt with the guy wearing it. He's standing in front of his herb garden.
Silhouette 6012

During the "photo shoot", he said that the shirt was too nice to wear in the garden, but he will. That was a wonderful compliment but I wish that I had made the shirt in that nice cotton. Geez, I would have missed all that insanity fun. I do like this pattern and believe that it will make a great shirt in the proper fabric. The only sewing mishap was in the cut-out. I've never made a sleeve placket and cut out the sewing lines. That was one stupid thing to do. Fortunately, I had enough fabric to cut new sleeves (goodbye tank top for me). I followed Peggy Sager's "The Silhouette Man" DVD and actually enjoyed the process of making the shirt. I measured the chest of a shirt that fit DH and used that size without adjustments. I do need to make the shoulders about 1" shorter which should take care of the winkling in the top of the sleeve. The sleeves also need to be about 1" shorter. I left off the top button since he won't be wearing a tie with it (LOL). Also, he wanted the second button left off, but changed his mind after trying on the final product. I may fix that or maybe not. I know that the front placket is not very straight. That is a fabric problem and doesn't show unless someone like me is really looking at it. I will make this shirt again, but not right away. I'd like to make it in a cotton. If I use gauze again, there will definitely be some changes - only a collar stand, no fancy front placket, and roll up sleeves. For the immediate future, I'll be sewing for me!! I've made a number of garments-just have to get pictures.

1 comment:

Jane M said...

How kind of you to continue this loving project even when you might have reconsidered. Yes, now it's time to enjoy "you sewing."