Thursday, April 9, 2009

The Marathon Record Setting Blouse

The Loes Hinse Bergman Blouse is as finished as it is going to get. The fit is not too bad, compared to my other attempts at fitting shoulder princess seams. There are a number of things that I know that I will fix the next time around. Yes, there will be another of this blouse - just not right away. Any constructive comments about the fit will be welcome! Part of the difficulty is the wool crepe fabric seemed to stretch as I fiddled with it. Once I feel more comfortable with the fit, wool crepe would be fine. My next go round probably will be in a polyester before using any nicer fabric. I made this blouse as a part of Sarah Veblen's "All about Set-in Sleeves and Armholes" class on Pattern Review. She helped a lot, but the class was just before the Christmas holidays. There was too much stuff going on. I didn't finish it before the end of the class. I sure wish I had as she is so helpful. Anyway, this blouse set a number of records for me.

1. The longest period of time I worked on 1 garment (4 months) without sending it to the UFO shelf or wadder file. I finished a number of other garments in the process, but kept coming back to the blouse. Wow! Most sewers finish a coat in less time!
2. The only time that I continued working on a project that I was sick of sewing. I love sewing - hope this is the first and only time. Yet, I know it may happen again as I take on new challenges.
3. The happiest I've ever been to finish a project.
4. The first time I've gotten a woven princess seam garment to actually look like a blouse.
5. The most muslins made (3 including many rips and resew). I should have made one more!
6. The most learning about reading a muslin. Now I can see things in a garment muslin (or finished project) and understand a lot more about what is happening in relation to my body.
Here are pictures of the blouse:

The pants that I'm wearing are V1051 made in cotton twill.

Closing Shot:

During my hectic month of March, I finished another quilt block: the last block for an applique wall hanging. I'd like to finish the quilt as there is a big, blank spot in sewing room. Every now and then I hear the wall crying to be covered!


No comments: