Saturday, June 27, 2009

Invisible Zipper

Finally, the sewing goddess has granted me a success. I was leary of trying an invisible zipper because there are many people who have trouble with it. Of course, others consider it a simple task. It was time for me to just do it. For the first time, I think it turned out well. I didn't even have to pull out my seam ripper. I know there were no seams to match so I don't want to get too cocky. Now, I believe it is as easy as any other zipper and the results look so much more professional.


For instructions, I used a combination of the tutorial from Els and the instructions in Bernina's Features Book. I have the Bernina invisible zipper foot #35 and wanted to use it. With the foot, it is not necessary to press the coils. For these instructions to work, the zipper has to be at least one inch longer than the opening. My zipper was just a little over 1 inch longer. I started pretty much like a centered zipper: stabilized the zipper opening, sewed up to the zipper opening point and basted the zipper opening. After pressing the seam open, I removed the basting. Thank you, Els, for this info which helped me a lot. My pressing showed me exactly where the zipper needed to be stitched. The zipper coil is placed precisely at the pressed fold. I pinned the right side of the zipper (Bernina does right side first, Els does left side first), checked it was in the right place, basted it, and sewed from the top to the end of the opening. Like Els, I sewed a diagonal line at the end rather than backstitching. Then I closed the zipper (just my approach), pinned it in place, opened the zipper, checked the left coil was on the fold, and basted it. I didn't backstitch when I started sewing the left side as I fully expected to have to rip it! Naturally, I was prepared so it went in just fine. I pulled the zipper pull up near the end of the opening (just a peek so it didn't get in the way of the foot). After sewing to the end of the opening, I pulled the top thread to the back and did a few back stitches by hand. I did not cut off the end of the zipper - doesn't seem to be a problem. If it is, I always can cut it off and bar tack the end. Sorry, I didn't take pictures as I was constructing this. I was focused and wasn't sure that it would work. Here's a picture of the inside of the finished zipper:
The skirt is finished now except for the final pressing. Once I do that, I'll post about the skirt construction.

5 comments:

Kathy said...

I have a Bernina, I didn't know they had an invisible zipper foot. I will have to get one.Great job on your zipper!

Alicia said...

Your zipper looks fantastic! My first zipper was an invisible and I hadn't been told yet that they were considered hard so I just followed the directions that came with the zipper and went on with it, using the little plastic invisible zipper foot that you can pick up at Joann's. They've been my favorite type of zipper ever since! On the other hand I haven't quite gotten over my trepidation of regular zippers. :) Funny how some things seem so hard and yet ... aren't. With the right tools. Congrats on getting the zipper in and may you have many more gorgeous invisible zippers in your future!

gwensews said...

Good for you! The Goddess of Good Sewing was with you ,instead of her hateful sister, the Demon of Disaster! Both visit my sewing room frequently!

Shannon said...

Wow! This zipper looks great! Good job!

Susan said...

Bravo! I like using my Bernina attachment for this too. Really helpful.